Sunday, August 3, 2008

"Be Nourished by the Good Word of God"


We have a fantastic youth group! We are a small group for living in Utah but have the most incredible teenagers. It's a tradition each summer to spend the weekend at Bear Lake. The youth and their leaders stay at a member's cabin right on the beach. We are also fortunate to have many members with boats and we spend hours on the water!!! This year our theme was "Be Nourished by the Good Word of God." The first night we meet in groups (Beehives and Deacons, MiaMaids and Teachers, Laurels and Priests) I was the leader for Mia Maids and Teachers. Our group name was "The Golden Plates" and our theme was "Serve the least, Eat the feast." All groups had a cooking challenge. We had to draw for a method of cooking (stove, grill, dutch oven) and a course of meal (main, dessert, side dish). Then you selected the items you wanted to use to cook your meal. You were judged on group effort, creativity, clean up, use of method and food items. After surfing, wake boarding and tubing all day the kids gathered to work on their meals. Tanner instantly channeled into my Dad and created the most amazing grilled pineapple, drizzled with honey and lemon juice served over Vanilla Bean ice cream with banana slices and melted chocolate, topped with a marshmallow man. Our group worked so well, I just observed. I also enjoyed watching Tanner teach the other youth his grilling skills and cutting a pineapple.



I have been fortunate to serve with the youth for what seems forever and it's still not enough. Since I graduated high school, my callings are always with the youth. I did spent 6 miserable months in primary in 1998. It was awful and I almost stopped going to church. They didn't like me and I didn't like them. I felt like a fish out of water!!! I knew after that experience my records had written in bold red pen and highlighted with a yellow marker, "NEVER TO SERVE IN PRIMARY!" So while I was enjoying yet another wonderful experience with the youth at Bear Lake, the Bishop wanted to speak with me...WHAT, I can't be getting a new calling!!! I have only served with this group of youth for over 3 years! After the kind words of my service and dedication I have towards the youth, he said the words, "It's time to be released..." I placed my hand over my heart, gasped and hung my head down low...I asked him if he was sure. He said yes. I asked him if he has reviewed my records that state in big red bold letters "NEVER TO SERVE IN PRIMARY!" or that little children give me hives!!! He laughed. I asked him to give me a minute before he tells me it's time to serve in primary. I took a deep breath, said a silent prayer and looked up at the bishop. My heart was racing and I was getting prepared to offer my cheesy, fake smile when he said the words "PRIMARY"...As he began to offer me my new calling, I could hear the youth calling for me, I could see some playing in the water and others gathered around the fire pit. Oh how could this be, why now! He offered the great wise words from a Bishop, "We would like you to serve in the....." oops, not sustained yet! It also may take a couple weeks. Just wait and see! (I am being released and I did offer my cheesy, fake smile!)

2 comments:

dede said...

way to leave us hanging - I will stay tuned in...we are the opposite - I have served in YW for about 6 months and don't want to go back - I am usually in RS but have been in primary for the last 18 months and I love it!! can't wait to hear where you are going and hopefully hear that you love it ?!?

Anonymous said...

I HEAR YOU, SISTER! I have spent probably half of my married life in YW, and that's where the church is truest the most! (Actually, I've spent the other half in Primary, and I loved it there, too, but YW is my happy place!)

The Bear Lake trip sounds like a marvelous tradition! Our ward has one, too, but instead of nice, sunny lakeside activities, we break a two mile trail in the snow in February and camp out in cabins, where we have to dig out the chimney and chop our own firewood. Hmmm. I think we'll come crash your Bear Lake experience next year!