Monday, November 12, 2007

Stories



One of my favorites is a really old one though. It was right after I met Homero and he hardly spoke any english. I was visiting them from Utah. Homero and I were driving to San Rafael to get their Mustang looked at. It was kind of an odd drive, because we hardly knew each other and there was also that language barrier. He got a speeding ticket on 101. We pulled away after he was issued the ticket in silence. The silence went on for a few moments when I heard a little voice from the driver seat - "No tell Karen, OK?"Or there was the time that Karen and I pulled into their driveway late at night to find Homero sitting on the front porch alone. He was waiting for us because he was afraid to go into the house alone in the dark! He caught grief for that for a while.Or there were the thousands of wonderful meals with family and friends that he was always so happy to prepare and so happy when we told him how great the food was.I know that now he is with so many people that he loved in his life, looking down on us and knowing how very much he was loved by all of us. Homero was my brother in every sense of the word. I will miss his smile, his jokes, his love and his kindness so much.
-Sam Blair

Now I don't know what came first, the Fred Flintstone costume or my belief that Tio WAS Fred Flinstone. But I can vividly remember KNOWING that Tio was indeed Fred. Evertime the cartoon would come on, I would run to the TV yelling, "Tio! Tio! Tio!" I can still see that old TV, I can still feel the running, and hear my little voice yelling.

So, the news comes of Tio's departure late Thursday night. All day Friday, I just stayed home with the kids, not feeling like going anywhere. While flipping through the channels that day, I came accross a rerun of the Flintstones. When was the last time you noticed it was still on TV? I can not remember the last time I saw it. A rush of happy and sad feeling over came me. I can not describe it any better than than...a rush of happy and sad. It was almost like Tio was saying "Hello" and "Goodbye".
-Karli Stearns

I don't think I ever met a man who smiled more readily or more often than Homero Huerta. To me, he seemed to be in a perpetual good mood. I know of no one who was more constantly and genuinely cheerful. He had a jovial and witty conversational style that made him an unfailingly fun and interesting person to talk to. He was the type of person who when he came into a room the energy, love, and vivaciousness he always seemed to radiate would just lift everyone. He was one of those rare people who you were always glad to see. I will remember Homero most for his kindness, generosity, good humor, and wonderful skill as a chef. One of my fondest memories of Homero was going to Tijuana with him and Jason in 1999. I bought a little desk for Jordan and had to carry it quite a distance back across the border and Homero kept cracking me up with a running commentary about how with each 100 feet, I was adding one mile to the story I would tell of how far I had carried it.
-Tom King

Words alone can’t possible say it; I am glad I got a chance to meet your pop. The 18 holes I played with him were a treat; what a delightful happy soul. He talked a lot about his family and his plans to move to Utah and spend his retirement years here with the kids and grandchildren. I suppose he will now get to see it all from his little soft fluffy comfy cloud in the sky. He will be with you and live in your hearts always.Be at peace. He wants to see you all smile and laugh again. My deepest sympathies and best regards.
-Dave Glissmeyer

I'm at work, sitting by myself with tears on my face. The sounds of the crew, the boss yelling on the radio have turned into a dull, muffled drone. Seeing Homero's picture has really brought it home. My heart cries with yours.
-Ken Emanuele
Im so sorry i know you never here from me but i want you to know that your dad was one of my favorite ppl that i have ever have known. The time i got to spend with him will always be in my memories. He always treated me well even if at the time i did not deserve it.I always thought he was good man with a great heart. Im not going to go talk like our relationship was more then it was but i want to to know that im very sad that a good man is no longer with us.
-Rob Thompson
I'm overwhelmed with so many different emotions reading this and looking at the photos. Saturday we had a party at my house and I taped up some photos of Homero around the kitchen so that he'd be with us while we were prepping all of the food. I'll send along some of the photos later as I come across them. The digital ones will be easy to get to you, the paper ones I'll have to scan and send. I'm going to dig through my boxes from the last time I moved and find my photo journal from the trip to La Paz with Homero and Sully. It was such a terrific time travelling across the peninsula and meeting your aunts, uncles and cousins. I'll send the photos when I get them together......
-Kevin Sullivan


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm overwhelmed with so many different emotions reading this and looking at the photos. Saturday we had a party at my house and I taped up some photos of Homero around the kitchen so that he'd be with us while we were prepping all of the food. I'll send along some of the photos later as I come across them. The digital ones will be easy to get to you, the paper ones I'll have to scan and send. I'm going to dig through my boxes from the last time I moved and find my photo journal from the trip to La Paz with Homero and Sully. It was such a terrific time travelling across the peninsula and meeting your aunts, uncles and cousins. I'll send the photos when I get them together......