Friday, May 7, 2010

Isabeau's Mom

While I was at work, I received an email that someone posted a comment on my blog. I was moved to tears and than laughed all day long! Isabeau's mom made a comment under my Easter Video post. She said she loved my values and my incredible children. It felt like Heavenly Father was sending me a message. It's hard, REALLY HARD raising teenagers. I feel like I am walking on egg shells everyday. Remember the egg experiment at San Jose Middle School...we decorated a raw egg, named and carried it for a week. You had to protect it from breaking. The egg experiment represented the responsibilities of childhood and how fragile life is. I, of course received an A. I provided a safe, protecting case for my egg and I faithfully woke up at the required hours as if it was a newborn. Fast forward 25 years and as I look back, I feel as if I have dropped my "eggs"!
Values...not too difficult to live by but oh so challenging to influence my teenagers when the world is screaming and pounding them to choose another way. My boys have often (at least 90%) used their free agency to follow a more challenging path. I won't give up on the 10%!!! In fact, if there's any value they have learned from Jason and I, is that we won't give up on them. Isn't that what we learn from our Savior...He won't give up on us.
I laughed the rest of the day because Isabeau's mom loved our Easter Egg "Question" hunt. She shared a family tradition that was so perfect for my family when they were younger. They hid decorated (boiled) eggs along with decorated (raw) eggs. After the egg hunt, the children would take turns and crack an egg on their head, hoping is was a boiled egg! I just laughed throughout the day imagining my boys at a young age Easter morning with this tradition. CLASSIC!
So to Isabeau's Mom...THANK YOU for reminding me about my values and how incredible my children are! You can stalk my blog anytime and I look forward to seeing you at the rink when you are visiting Utah! I appreciate your kindness and thoughtful words but most of all reminding me how precious our children are...despite being teenagers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I swear I don't usually stalk your blog more than a few times a month, but today I had to come back to show Iz Jordan's leg! What am impressive injury! Ouch! So glad she is on the mend.

I was shocked to see this blog entry!! I'm glad that I had this overwhelming urge to share with you how I felt after watching that video. It appears we both were affected. I, too, am having a difficult time with my "teenager". (My son is 21 and has never really been too difficult. In fact, he helps keep me sane!)

I agree. We've got to hold on to that 10 percent. My teen is also succumbing to less-than-stellar influences in her life. It's very hard for me at times to sit back and watch, and sometimes, I can't help but feel I've somehow failed, so if nothing else, this entry has helped me to realize that I am not alone in my feelings of frustration and even desperation. I mean, shoot, if I admire your family, can see all the good you have accomplished as a parent and know you struggle at times, it's just a sign to me that there is hope!

THank you, Tiffany, and I am sure our paths will cross again soon!!

Laura