Friday, May 21, 2010

Dumbo

Dumbo after surgery!
His new right ear. That is not ear wax, it's the iodine the surgeons applied all over his head!
Right ear before surgery.

The gauges will not be missed by this mommy! It was a bitter sweet day for me. The surgery took place at the University of Utah, the same waiting room that I sat in for HOURS for Jason in 2004. Taylor was in one of the many rooms Jason used that year. I even ran into Jason's orthopedic surgeon. Raw memories of being sent to the consultation room, pages for "Tiffany King", and the feelings of being alone and complete fear. The smell of that waiting room even bugged me. As I was waiting for Taylor I had a few moments to reflect on the past four years. So many tearful nights wondering where he was, what he was doing and who he was with. When I accepted his free agency and allowed him to figure out he still had to face consequences for his actions, I then spent my energy rebuilding a relationship with him. It was not easy but he is definitely worth it. Slowly, Taylor is understanding the consequences for his actions, he is making great changes for himself. He is becoming a fine young man, even with his Dumbo Ears.

1 comment:

Cristi said...

wow! crazy pics! I didn't know they could do that!