Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Sacred Grove

After the Niagara Falls, we drove (the scenic route with NO stops along the way for my weak bladder) for over an hour to Palmyra. This has always been a trip I wanted to make, I just never thought I would be with Bob! Bob enjoyed the tours and meeting the missionaries (he preferred the older elders). Before we arrived to the Sacred Grove, we visited the Historic Publication Site. Wonderful information about the publisher Egbert B. Grandin and the process to print 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon. Bob loved reading all the information, something I usually don't do. It was a great tour. After that stop, we headed to the Sacred Grove...
I enjoyed watching Bob's respect and interest visiting such precious sites. Honestly, I was expecting a specific location in the Sacred Grove, where our Prophet Joseph Smith prayed and God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ appeared to him. The property is also the original site of the Smith Farm. Once we entered the Sacred Grove, we were in search for the location but soon realized it was a grove and not a specific area. We tried to figure out where the specific location would be and walked for some time until the nappy little bugs appeared. (I doubt it was in that area!)

I thought this was an interesting plant. The grove is peaceful and I believed somewhere in that grove our Heavenly Father and Savior appeared to a young boy (who was also my 4th great grand uncle...his older brother Hyrum is my 4th great grandfather). It felt like walking on Temple Grounds.

One of my favorite moments was leaving the Sacred Grove and viewing the temple and Angel Moroni. How appropiate that the Smith Farm would look towards the Holy Temple.


This was my favorite memory. The photo above is the Smith Home. It was not the original house but the location of the home is correct. One of Bob's favorite tour guides (an older missionary) met us along the paths and gave us a tour on the farm and shared interesting stories. Our last stop was this home...I was fascinated to know my ancestors walked on these grounds and lived in this home.

When we went upstairs to the room Joseph received his first vision, my heart began to beat a little faster and my eyes filled up with tears. The spirit was strong and it testified to me that these events did happen. Sometimes the greatest knowledge comes from what you feel in your heart.

2 comments:

Lillian said...

Tiffany, we'll have to talk Smith family genealogy one of these days. We're related!

Jillybean said...

Hey Tiff, it looks like we're related too!