Saturday, March 14, 2009

Butterflies

It's been 16 months since I last spoke to my Dad and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. I have accepted the shock and yucky moments of grieving. My heart is healing and I have found some peace. I rejoice when I stumble across old photos such as this photo with my mom. Even though I am wiping away a few tears, I still feel his presence...and then I find this photo and it reminds me of this...

Dad wearing a helmet on a stationary bike!

Now, I am laughing and hearing him say in his spanish accent, "It's tea law!"

I felt much like a butterfly spending many long days slowly crawling through grief, tearful nights wanting to be wrapped in his arms and feel secure again...but now I have reached a stage of moving on and emerging into a stronger, faithful woman. I have read that butterflies are a reminder of those that have passed on and though I have yet to see one in Utah, I believe the symbol of a butterfly is to remind me that life has many stages and once we experience the different stages we end up being free of the pain, much like when a butterfly is finally free from the cocoon and flies away...

2 comments:

Jenn K said...

Those photos of your dad totally made me chuckle. Thanks for posting them! He was so young when he passed (funny how young 60ish sounds the closer you get to it). I am planning to go to Newell Stevenson's viewing on Monday morning. Not sure if I can make the funeral.

dede said...

you are strong and a great example! You should plant a butterfly bush - we have one in our yard and we see butterflies all summer!!