Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Longest Day of My Life


Today had to be the longest day of my life! It was filled with laughter, tears, joy and pure frustration!!! It was our last day with Meagan and Cubby and a special evening with Taylor at his Court of Honor. After a late night with our Dance Marathon, we finally went to bed in the early hours and only experienced a few hours of sleep. I woke up early to finish some last minute items for Taylor's Court of Honor and be the first to take a hot shower. Once everyone was up, we quickly traveled to Park City to visit with Meagan's great aunt. We enjoyed our time walking through the Park City Resort and meeting Aunt Jeanie. It was around noon time when it all started to unravel. As we were driving to eat lunch at Main Street, the "Mothership" made some awful noises, loud disturbing noises...it sounded like a 747 was going to land in the front seat. Then we noticed it was difficult to brake and noise became louder and louder. As we stayed calm and evaluated our negative situation we decided it was NOT safe to travel back home in the Mothership. We called to find a van to take all 8 of us home but it was $185.00. I don't think so! So we tried a taxi to take a few of us home and then drive our other car to pick us up. That was $125.00. Nope, not going to work for me. So fortunately, Aunt Jeanie offered to take Meagan, Jason, Taylor and Jordan back home to SLC. Jason would take the other car and pick Cubby, Tanner, Missy and I up in Park City. TERRIFIC SOLUTION! We had a blast walking down Main Street, visiting all the shops until it became a BLIZZARD. It was miserable. No one wore ski clothes and along with the snow it started to thunder!!! Cubby's snow finally arrived and he loved every minute. He didn't want to go inside the stores. He just wanted to walk in this snow storm. Yes, it was beautiful until Jason called and said the freeway was horrible and it would take him longer to get us. We were still good with time and didn't worry. Jason called again and said the roads had many accidents and slide offs. It took Jason over 1.5 hours to go through Parley's...Now we were wet, tired and getting very cold. Jason finally arrived safely and we had no time to use the restrooms, we just wanted to get home to prepare for the Court of Honor. The weather was still awful and it took some time to get on the freeway. Once on the freeway our day suddenly became even worse, the freeway was closed due to two semi's that lost control. We were stuck!!! It's now 3:30 and Taylor's Court of Honor starts at 6:00. 100 yards later and it was 4:30. I started to make arrangements for Taylor and fortunately Meagan turned into MaMa Meagan as she filled in to help Taylor and Jordan. 5:30 and maybe another 100 yards, we realized we were not going to make Taylor's Court of Honor. Between the complete sadness that was becoming an overwhelming feeling and my full bladder, I just started to cry. How could I miss Taylor's Court of Honor! Remember the day he had the Board of Review, Grandpa died and now the day we celebrate for his accomplishment I am stuck in Park City. It was one of the worst feelings I have ever felt, not being able to be with my children. Thanks to Meagan, terrific ward members and his Scoutmaster, we made a few changes and they delayed the Court of Honor as long as they could. We finally arrived around 6:30 pm, rushed into the building and couldn't wait to be with Taylor. We missed most of the Eagle presentation but was there to listen to his leaders speak such incredible, thoughtful words of Taylor. After the Court of Honor, others drove us home. As I got out of our friends car, I slipped, butt first into the largest puddle in our driveway. It's not even a puddle, more like a lake. It was a very, very long day.

1 comment:

Lillian said...

OH. MY. GOSH! I am so sorry you had to go through this! I feel awful that I wasn't keeping up on reading your blog and I didn't even know this had happened. What an ordeal!

Thanks for chatting with me and my mom tonight. You're the only one of those amazing ladies in YW that I dare speak to - and that's only because I know you are forced by DUTY to say hello on a monthly basis. ;)