Thursday, May 7, 2009

Strike One!

I still found a way to be at the ball park!!! Taylor isn't playing but is now umpiring the local little leagues...how lucky am I! I watched him umpire, fighting back the tears, recalling all the amazing memories of spending a warm, breezy evening at the ball park!
Taylor was absolutely incredible. In control and had fun with the kids! He even stopped the game because the batter had his shirt tucked out (imagine that). The parents were laughing and he look backed at us and said, "If I have to tuck in my shirt and keep my pants up, so will they..." The parents loved it. I loved watching him be involved with the young players and the confidence he had on the field.

As I drove him home (not much longer, since he will have his driver's license and car next month), I asked him if he missed it. He paused for quite some time and told me, "After the first night I was umpiring, I rode my bike to my house and cried. I missed playing in the little leagues, it went by so fast...I miss playing baseball!" After I dropped him off, I cried! Our family has been so blessed from a simple wooden bat and a white baseball. I can't believe our journey is over in this phase. One of the best things our family was involved in. It was worth every late night, long board meetings, ticked off Dad's and pure exhaustion. I will never regret my years involved in baseball!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How COOL is that?! I love the shirt comment -- way to go, Taylor!

Rachel said...

What a sweet experience for you and Taylor! And I loved reading about your church history visits. That's a trip I want to take some day!